Parrot now offers a free application on the Android Market that allows you to use the AR.Drone with an Android phone or tablet: AR.FreeFlight.
To use the FreeFlight application, your Android phone or tablet must meet the following criteria:
- Your device must be running Android version 2.2 (or a later version). To check what version of Android is installed on your phone, go to Settings > About phone > Software information > Android version.
- The screen of your device must have the Multitouch function. Please refer to the user guide or specifications for your phone for more information.
- Your device must have an accelerometer. Please refer to the user guide or specifications for your phone for more information.
To use the AR.Drone with your Android phone or tablet, the AR.Drone must be running version 1.7.4 (or a later version). To install version 1.7.4 (or a later version) on the AR.Drone, the simplest way is to use an iPhone, iPod or iPad, but you can also install it by using a PC or Mac. Click here to consult the update procedures available.
The 1.7.4 update for the AR.Drone allows you to change the connection mode between your phone and the AR.Drone by switching from ad-hoc mode to access-point mode.
- Before the 1.7.4 update, the AR.Drone is in ad-hoc mode. When the 1.7.4 update (or a later version) is installed, the AR.Drone automatically switches to access-point mode. Only access-point mode will allow you to use the AR.Drone with an Android device. However, you can use the AR.Drone with your iPhone regardless of the mode.
- You have the option of switching from ad-hoc mode to access-point mode and vice versa. To do so, press and hold the Unpair button for 5 seconds. The flashing motor LEDs indicate that a mode switch has taken place. The LEDs flash red when access-point mode is switched to ad-hoc mode. The LEDs flash green when ad-hoc mode is switched to access-point mode.
Downloading the application
Login to the Android Market and download the application AR.Drone Free Flight.
Using the application
The FreeFlight application for Android works in the same way as the FreeFlight application for iPhone. Please refer to the AR.Drone user guide for more information on how to use the FreeFlight application.
In the event of problems
- Make sure that your phone meets the criteria listed in the section Android Compatibility.
- Make sure that the AR.Drone is running version 1.7.4 (or a later version).
- Make sure that the AR.Drone is in access-point mode.
- If you are still unable to use the AR.Drone with your Android phone, contact our technical support.